Dr. Maria Trinitat Rovira Soto
Postdoctoral researcher of the Research Group on Territorial Analysis and Tourism Studies (GRATET).
Department of Geography, Faculty of Tourism & Geography, Rovira i Virgili University.
ResearchGate Profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Maria_Trinitat_Soto
Dr. Maria Trinitat Rovira-Soto, known as Trini, is a postdoctoral researcher at Rovira i Virgili University, Spain, in the Research Group on Territorial Analysis and Tourism Studies (GRATET).
After graduating with a major in Geography and earning a Master’s Degree in Planning and Management of Tourism from Rovira i Virgili University, was awarded a research grant from the Government of Catalonia to develop a PhD thesis on the identification of urban landscape patterns in mass tourism destinations on the Mediterranean Coast.
As a postdoc researcher, she is currently analysing models of spatial development of tourist destinations from an evolutionary perspective. She has also participated in other projects funded by the Ministry of Science and Innovation of the Spanish Government with the purpose of studying models of territorial development fostered by the tourism industry in the Mediterranean Coastal region from the perspective of innovation and territorial competitiveness and to analyse territorial innovation processes in tourist-destination spaces, the capacity of tourism to generate competitive territories, the transformation of regional systems, and the evolution of urban structures and regional integration of destinations on an intermediate scale. Her research uses GIS software as the basic instrument for collecting data, analysing patterns and demonstrating results.
Trini also has many years of teaching experience at Rovira i Virgili University, specifically in the degree for Geography and Spatial Planning (Tourism and Geography Faculty).
Selected recent publications
- Rovira Soto, M.T.& Anton Clavé, S. (2018). The role of second homes in a Mediterranean coastal mass tourism destination: an evolutionary perspective. En Hall, C. M., & Müller, D. (eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Second Home Tourism and Mobilities. London: Routledge, 27-38 Pàgs. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315559056
- Rovira Soto, M.T. & Anton Clavé, S. (2017). Second homes and urban landscape patterns in Mediterranean coastal tourism destinations. Land Use Policy, 68, 117-132. DOI: 10.1016/j.landusepol.2017.07.018
- Mariné-Roig, E., Rovira Soto, M.T, Anton Clavé. S. (2017). Cognitive city maps through user-generated content. In Kozak, M., Artal-Tur, A., Kozak, N. (2017). Proceedings book. Interdisciplinary Tourism Research Conference. Ppgs. 483-489. Cartagena: Technical University of Cartagena and Anatolia: An International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research.
- Rovira Soto, M.T.& Anton Clavé, S. (2014). De destino a ciudad. La reformulación urbana de los destinos turísticos costeros maduros. El caso de la Costa Daurada central. ACE: Architecture, City and Environment = Arquitectura, Ciudad y Entorno, 9 (25): 373- 392. DOI10.5821/ace.9.25.3632.
Selected recent conferences, keynotes, invited lectures and presentations
- Cognitive city maps through user-generated content. . In collaboration with Estela Mariné-Roig and Salvador Anton Clavé. I Congreso de la Organización Mundial del Turismo (OMT) en Destinos Inteligentes. Murcia (Spain) 2017. [Conference presentation]
- Cognitive city maps through user-generated content. In collaboration with Estela Mariné-Roig and Salvador Anton Clavé. 5th Interdisciplinary Tourism Research Conference. Cartagena (Spain), 2017. [Conference comunication]
- From second home areas to a permanent city: a planning strategy to renovate tourist destinations on the Mediterranean coast. In collaboration with Salvador Anton Clavé. New Perspectives on Second Homes. International Geographical Union. Comission Geography of Tourism, Leisure and Global Change. Stocolm (Sweeden), 2014. [Conference comunication]
- Second Homes landscape transformations in the mature tourist destinations of the Mediterranean coast. In collaboration with Salvador Anton Clavé. RGS- IBG Annual Internationaal Conference of the Royal Geographical Society. London (UK), 2013. [Conference presentation]