PhD candidate of the Tourism & Leisure program. Member of the Research Group on Territorial Analysis and Tourism Studies (GRATET).
Faculty of Tourism and Hospitality Management, University Externado of Colombia, Bogota & Department of Geography, Faculty of Tourism and Geography, Rovira i Virgili University.
ResearchGate profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Narcis_Bassols/info
Narcís Bassols is a full-time lecturer and researcher at the Faculty of Tourism and Hospitality Management, University Externado of Colombia, Bogota. He also serves as the co-editor of the indexed journal “Turismo y Sociedad”. He is a guest lecturer at several Colombian universities as well.
Previously to his current post he was a lecturer at the Hospitality Management Programme, University Autónoma del Caribe, Barranquilla, Colombia and before that he was a practitioner in the industry, especially in consultancy and restaurant management in Barcelona, Catalonia. In 2016 he was a visiting researcher at the University of Westminster, London, UK.
He is a PhD candidate at the Department of Geography, Rovira i Virgili University. His research interests include destination marketing and management, city tourism, place branding and visitor management. His research field case for his thesis is the city of Cartagena de Indias, on the Colombian Caribbean.
Selected recent publications
- Bassols, N. & Soutto-Colon, C. (Accepted paper, forthcoming 2019) Keeping the city walls or demolishing them? Urban planning and social disputes in Cartagena, Colombia and San Juan, Puerto Rico (1880-1920) [¿Mantener las murallas o demolerlas? Urbanismo y disputas sociales en Cartagena, Colombia y San Juan de Puerto Rico (1880 -1920)]. Revista EURE
- Bassols, N. (2018) Evolving iconization and destination building: the example of Cartagena, Colombia. Tourism Planning and Development. DOI: 10.1080/21568316.2018.1501730
- Bassols, N. & Correa Fernández, J. R. (2017) European Borders: from history to everyday life [Fronteras europeas: de lo histórico a lo cotidiano]. Estudios Fronterizos, 17(35), 131 – 149. DOI: 10.21670/ref.2017.35.a7
- Bassols, N. (2016a) Branding and promoting a country amidst a long-term conflict: the case of Colombia. Journal of Destination Marketing and Management, 5(4) 314 – 324. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdmm.2016.10.001.
- Bassols, N. (2016b) Marketing dual destinations. The cases of Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain and Cartagena de Indias, Colombia [Marketing de destinos duales: los casos de Tarragona (Cataluña –España) y Cartagena de Indias, Colombia]. In: Triviño, L. F. et al. (eds.) Debates contemporáneos sobre el turismo, vol. III: Desafíos actuales en la gestión e innovación del turismo. Perspectivas y apuestas para su manejo. Bogota: Ediciones Universidad del Externado
- Bassols, N. (2016c) Tourist branding of the Colombian Caribbean: Caribbean Sun or Andean Culture? Proceedings of the Inaugural conference of the IPBA, p. 27-28. London: University of Middlesex.
- Bassols, N. (2016d) Opportunities and challenges in tourism development in the world, in Colombia and in the Santander region [Oportunidades y retos del turismo en el mundo, en Colombia y en Santander]. In: LRP Pinzón (ed.) Patrimonio cultural y turismo alternativo (PACTA) II y III. Bucaramanga: Published by the editor.
Selected recent conferences, keynotes, invited lectures and presentations
Pushing Tourism in Primary and Secondary Schools: a Colombian Experience. International I-CHRIE Conference, New Orleans, USA, 2019 [Presentation]
- “La sucursal turística del cielo”: Promoting and managing destinations in the Valle del Cauca region, Colombia. EXPOCOTELCO Valle del Cauca, Cali, Colombia, 2019. [Invited conference]
Rural Tourism: Bridging the Gap between Agriculture and Hospitality. Experiences from Spain, France and Colombia. Fouth National Congress on Tourism and Agriculture, Tulcan, Ecuador, 2018 [Conference Keynote]
Innovation and sustainability in tourism: Some experiences from Spain. Foro por un turismo sostenible e innovador en las Islas. ICONTEP. Island of San Andrés, Colombia, 2018 [Invited conference]
Tourism: is it a good development tool in post-conflict situations? VII PACTA Colloquium, El Socorro, Santander, Colombia, 2017 [Conference Keynote]
Memory and entrepreurship in the [Colombian] post-conflict era. CONPEHT 2017 Conference. Medellin, Colombia, 2017 [Conference Keynote]
Beach or Heritage? Marketing Latin America’s Coastal Historic Cities. Seminar “Besides the seaside: diversifying coastal destinations”, University of Westminster, London, UK, 2016 [Invited conference]
Video or image? Researching tourists’ digital footprints when consuming a space. International Conference on Urban Planning and Tourism Consumption: 160 years for the Ringstrasse in Vienna (1857-2017). Hebrew University of Jerusalem and Modul University. Jerusalem. 2016 [Presentation]
- Tourists’ mobility within a destination: The case of Cartagena, Colombia. ATLAS Conference on Tourism, Lifestyles and Mobilities, Canterbury, UK, 2016. [Presentation]
Some Heritazation and Touristificaton Processes in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia. 3rd Int’l Meeting on Management, Governance and Sustainability of the Cultural Heritage, Villa de Leyva, Colombia, 2016 [Presentation]
- Supported with a scholarship from the European Forum at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem to attend the conference “Urban Planning and Tourism Consumption: 160 years for the Ringstrasse in Vienna” in Jerusalem. 2016.
- Nominated “Best-connected researcher to the social environement” by the University Autonoma del Caribe, 2017.